ht-inn-day-exterior_orig.jpg

Duration: 10 Weeks 
Collaboration:
Natalie Su 
Andrew Bateman

Context

My team was given the assignment of finding a local Savannah company and mapping every part of their service. The Hamilton-Turner Inn is one of the places to stay in the city, parked next to one of the many squares dispersed around Savannah filled with big trees and Spanish moss. Our goal was to understand the service offering and the stakeholders involved along with the experience offered and the interaction with the city. 

First Blueprint 

We sat down with the owner, Sue, of the Hamilton-Turner Inn in hopes to discover as much information about the Inn as we could, and discuss what the owner would like to see as far as opportunities for improvement. We got to meet a few of the employees and see the amazing interior decor. Our initial goal was to gain the information we needed to create an "As-Is" Ecosystem Map and a "To-Be" Ecosystem map. 

"As-Is" Ecosystem  Map

After our first discussion with Sue we wanted to collect the information about the services that Hamilton-Turner Inn offered. We mapped this information by understanding the stakeholders, the servicescapes, the relationships between the stakeholders and the servicescapes and where that stood when we approached with company. We connected all the stakeholders by separating the front stage, what the consumer saw, and the backstage, what happened behind the scenes to make the Inn run successfully.  

"To-Be" Ecosystem  Map

While mapping the "As-Is" Ecosystem we were jotting down quotes and information Sue had to share about the different aspects of the Inn and the stakeholders that were a part of the system along with the goals she would like to achieve to improve the Inn. Using that information we uncovered future state actions that could help Sue achieve these goals and improve the operations of the Inn.

As-is-to-be.PNG

Final Ecosystem Map

The map you explored above didn't come without issues. After prototyping it with others we discovered that it wasn't easy to read or understand. That was just the beginning of our issues. The owner informed us that she would not be taking any more meetings with us, Since we couldn't gain anymore information from her we reached out to previous guests and previous employees of the Inn that could guide us to final Ecosystem Map. 

Map & Analysis 

Even though our issues with the owner created difficulties we discovered that maybe that was a part of the issues at the Inn itself. After discussing the Inn with previous employees and returning to our original meeting with Sue our analysis concluded that the biggest opportunity for improvment was the lack of communication between internal stakeholders.

 

Our goal with the final ecosystem map was to pinpoint areas of opportunities and offer suggestions of improvements. The interactions surrounding the guests were strong while the interactions within the company were weak. 

The goals were based off of our initial interview with Sue and the observations we discovered throughout the 10 weeks with spent don't this project. Each service scape has one to two goals and our suggestions to accomplish those goals. 

TeamHydration_FinalEcosystem_version2 (1).jpg

Final Thoughts

This project was great practice for obsticles we most likely will run into in the professional world. Sometimes clients will be difficult to work with. It was important for us to approach this situation with care while also continuing our process. Our professor challenged us to navigate this project as if it was a paying client, helping them understand what we wanted to achieve, and describe our line of work. At the end of the ten weeks we sent our final discoveries to the owner but never heard back.